The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are microbes?
minute living things that individually are too small to be seen with the unaided eye and includes bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and microscopic algae; it also includes viruses
Some functions of microbes?
help maintain balance of living organisms and chemicals in our enviornment, such as forming the basis of the food chain, helping with decomp. and nitrogen fixation
food industry uses them for yogurt and other foods and they can produce substances they don't normally synthesize
Only a majority of microbes are __.
1) Genetic material
3) Individual bacteria may?
simple, single-celled organisms
1) genetic material not enclosed in a special nuclear membrane= prokaryotes, which include bacteria and archaea
2) Shapes: a. Bacillus (rodlike) b. Coccus (spherical or ovoid)c. Spiral (corkscrew or curved) d. Some can also be star-shaped or square
3) form pairs, chains, clusters, or other groups; but, these are characteristic of a particular genus or species of bacteria
Enclosed in cell walls composed of carb + protein complex called __
2. How do they reproduce?
Many have __
Reproduce by dividing into two equal cells, which is called binary fission
The most typical fungi are __, which form visible masses called __
, which are composed of __ that branch and intertwine
- long filaments (hyphae)
- Sexual or asexual
3) Living or non?
so small that most can be seen only with an EM and are acellular
- 1. Contains a core made of only one type of nucleic acid; core is surrounded by a protein coat, which is sometimes encased by a lipid membrane called an envelope
- 2. Can reproduce only by using the cellular machinery of other organisms
- 3. Only considered living when they multiply within host cells they infect