The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is Sociology?
The systematic study of social interaction at a variety of different levels
What does the systematic study assume?
That social behavior is regular and patterned
The process of acting toward and reacting to people around us
Social interaction happens between?
Individual, groups and nations
Sociology studies how are
Sociology is more than
Common sense is
Subjective, ignores facts, varies across groups and cultures, and is based on myths and misconceptions
The ability to see the connection between individuals lives larger and social influences
Who developed Social imagination
C. Wright Mills
Social Imagination distinguishes between
- Personal troubles (biography)
- Structural issues (public and historical)
- Focuses on small scale patterns of individuals social interaction in specific settings
- -Individuals interacting as friends
- -Patterns of interaction within families
- Focuses on large scale patterns and processes that characterize society as a whole
- - Comparison of divorce rates for different countries
- - Effect of trade policies on unemployment rates