Sociology Chp.1 (2)
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How could each of these situations be both a trouble (micro) and a structural issue (macro)?
Illness, unemployment, oil spill
Why sociology important?
Making informed decisions, understanding diversity, shaping social and public policies, thinking critically, expanding your career opportunities
Sociology is based on
theory and empirical information
A set of statements that explains why a phenomenon occurs
Info based on observations, experiments, or experiences
- "Father of Sociology"
- Argued for empirical study of society
- Analyzed social statics and dynamics
- Translated Comte's work
- Emphasized systematic data collection
- Opposed slavery and advocated for women's rights
- Analyzed social facts, social solidarity, and division of labor
- Conducted study of suicide and social integration
- Analyzed the Industrial Revolution
- Studied capitalism, class conflict, and alienation
- Argued for the importance of ideas, ideologies and charismatic leaders
- Used verstehen or subjective understanding
- Argued for value free sociology
- Cofounded Full House
- Studied social disorganization and immigration
- Cofounded NAACP
- Examined oppressive effects of race and class
Theories are __ and ___
tools, evolve over time
Contemporary theories grew out of the
1950's and 1960's
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview