The Family & Culture
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What percentage of multiple births in the United States are low birth weight (LBW)?
What percentage of US infants are born preterm?
What is the infant mortality rate in the United States?
Fundamental social unit
Responsibilty of the Family
- *socialization of its members
- *transmits cultural background
- *core values
What are the five categories of families?
- 1) Married parents
- 2) Married-Blended family
- 3) Cohabitating parents
- 4) Single-Parent family
- 5) No-Parent family
What are the two types of Nuclear Families?
Married-parent families & Married-blended families
What percentage of American families are considered to be married-parent families?
Cohabitating-parent families are most common among which ethnic group?
Which type of family is most vulnerable economically & socially?
Which type of model should a perinatal nurse choose?
Health-promoting (especially for low risk families)
What is the goal of the Health Belief Model?
Reduce cultural and environmental barriers that interfere with access to health care.
guides how a person reacts to illness, pain, invasive procedures, emotional expressions
smaller cultural group within each culture
changes of one's cultural pattern to those of the hose society, but may revert to old patterns during times of stress.
Becoming like the dominant culture
belief that one's own cultural way of doing things is the best.
- *personal insight into reality of disparity between one's own culture and that of client *the ability to understand behaviors of clients from their own unique cultural backgrounds.
- *the ability to take abstract knowledge about other cultures and apply it in practice.
- *the ability to communicate respect for wide range of differences including nontraditional healing practices and alternative therapies
- *recognition of the importance of culturally different communication styles, problem solving techniques, concepts of space and time, desires to be involved with care decisions.
- *plan effective care anticipating varying degrees of language ability and literacy.
What factors are responsible for the growing demand for home care?
- *interest in family birthing alternatives
- *shortened hospital stays
- *new technologies that facilitate home-based assessment and treatment
- *reimbursement by third-party payers
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview