Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Define parasitology. What types of organisms does it encompass?
- The study of parasites and their relationships to their hosts
- Protozoa, trematodes (flukes), cestodes (tapeworms), nematodes (roundworms), and arthropods
How many deaths each year are attributed to parasitism? How many in children?
- 60 million
- Nearly half are children
What is the previously ignored parasite that has been recently linked to high death-rate of AIDS patients?
What general negative impacts can parasites have?
- Mal-absorption of food
- Energy loss
- Financial loss due to lack of work
- Plant parasites diminish productive capacity
- Countrywide economic instability can result from a lack of productivity
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview