Chapter 2: Cultural Competence: Cultural Care
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The balance of a person is a complex, interrelated phenomenon known as _?_.
The loss of a person's balance is known as _?_.
The understanding and attending to total context of patient's situation is known as _?_.
What are the steps to culture competence?
- Understand one's own heritage
- Identify meaning of "health" to patient
- Understand how health care system works
- Acquire knowledge about social backgrounds of patients
- Become familiar with languages, interpretive services, and community resources available
What are the 5 things that make up heritage?
- Religion and Spirituality
- Time Orientation
What is the thoughts, communications, actions, beliefs, values, and institutions of racial, ethnic, religious and social groups called?
What are the characteristics of culture?
What is the belief in divine or superhuman power, or powers to be obeyed and worshiped as creator/ruler of universe?
What are some health related issues affected by religion?
- Exercising/Physical Fitness
- Sleep habits
- Willingness to undergo physical examination
- Pilgrimage (journey or search of moral or spiritual significance)
- Truthfulness about how patient feels
What are some traditional causes of illness?
- Healing and Culture
- Folk Healers
Which of the traditional causes of illness views the body as a machine and endorses germ theory?
Which of the traditional causes of illness believes forces of nature must be in balance and there are opposing characteristics in forces?
Which of the traditional causes of illness uses supernatural powers predominately in area of health and illness?
Which of the traditional causes of illness seeks help of folk or religious leaders in addition to seeking help from health care providers?
Healing and culture
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview