By the middle of the 21st Century, minorities will make up almost half of the population. In response to these changes, the workplace is expected to become even more diverse than it is today.
Distinguish among the responsibilities of senior, middle, and supervisory managers.
Senior Management: Responsible for setting goals for the business, deciding what actions are necessary to meet them and determining how best to use resources.
Middle Management: Responsible for achieving the goals set by senior management.
Supervisory Management: Responsible for the people who physically produce the company's products or provide its services
Per Rue & Byars, what is management?
Management is the ability to organize and allocate the resources of land, labor, and capital to achieve the company’s objectives and mission. It can also be defined as getting things done through people.
Fayol was the first to outline what today are called the _____ of management.
Distinguish between a professional manager and an entrepreneur
An entrepreneur is one who conceives the idea of the service or product, starts the company, and builds it into a larger organization in need of more people. The professional manager, on the other hand, performs the five basic functions of management to achieve the organization’s objectives.
Cultural differences play a significant role in nonverbal communication
Tests indicate that immediately after listening to a 10-minute oral presentation, the average listener has heard, and retained about 50% of what was said.
Glass ceiling refers to ______ in the managerial hierarchy
What are the four steps required in active listening?
(1) Identify the speaker's purpose; (2) identify the speaker's main ideas; (3) note the speaker's tone as well as his or her body language; (4) respond to the speaker with appropriate comments, questions, and body language.
The _____ approach to management focuses on the management functions of planning, controlling, organizing, staffing, and leading.
List and describe the five major tasks of management.
(1) Planning: Deciding what objectives to pursue and what to do to achieve those objectives;
(2) Organizing: Grouping activities, assigning activities, and providing the authority necessary to carry out the activities.
(3) Staffing: Determining human resource needs and recruiting, selecting, training, and developing human resources.
(4) Leading: Directing and channeling human behavior toward the accomplishment of objectives.
(5) Controlling: Measuring performance against objectives, determining the causes of deviations, and taking corrective action where necessary.
Small business owners often _____ management tasks
The U.S. _____ encompassed the period when the United States began to shift from an almost totally agrarian society to an industrialized society.
_____ is the science or study of the meanings of words and symbols.
_____communication involves sending and receiving verbal and nonverbal messages.
Grapevines consist of the formal channels of communication that develop within the
organization as a result of common hobbies, home towns, lunch breaks, family ties, and social relationships among employees.
What is a small business?
A small business is an entity that is owned and operated independently and does not have a dominance in the field of endeavor; generally, it has fewer than 100 employee
As relates to management, what is meant by ensuring diversity?
Diversity in the workforce means including people of different genders, races, religions, nationalities, ethnic groups, age groups, and physical abilities.
The Hawthorne studies did not seek to define the relationship between working conditions and worker productivity.