The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the traditional definition of death?
When the heart and lungs have stopped
How did harvard medical change the view of defining death?
basing it on whether the brain is still functioning or not as to whether you are dead or not
What two parts had to be considered dead for person to be dead?
brain and brain stem
What is living death?
- looked at as deserved or as a punishment (fear)
- its just a part of life
- it can be a spiritual growth (preparation)
What is the dying of death?
- death with order (disappearance of thoughts of death)
- (middle class) separation of spheres (work at home vs professional work,funeral homes, cemetery)
- elimination of fear (postpone/preemption)
What is the resurrection of death?
- increased reminder of mortality
- increased fears (shootings/war/etc)