The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Structuralist view on Media
- Functionalists look at the structural relationship between
- the media and other social institutions that affect content , including the
- social and economic conditions
EX. Viewing Violence in the media as a child leads to aggression
Conflict Theorists view on Media
- Conflict Theorists believe that the media can be fully
- understood only when we learn who controls them. The media, serving the
- interest of interlocking state and corporate powers, frame messages in a way
- that supports the ruling elite and limits the variety of messages that we read,
- hear and see. The purpose of media is to advertise to a large group.
Feminist - media
- Feminist addresses how the media represents and devalues
- women and minorities. They examine how the media either uses stereotypes to
- disparage women and minorities or they are completely excluded from the media
- The media teaches children gender roles through shows like Barnie and
- Friends which shows male characters and leaders of directors of action
- Interactionist focus on the symbols and the messages of the
- media and how the media come to define our reality.
- EX. The news programs are responsible for defining what is newsworthy
- and what isn’t which helps to shape was is a social problem.
Crime - Function
- Durkheim felt that crime is normal and functional because
- it separates acceptable behavior from unacceptable behavior.
- Merton created the
- strain theory the state where cultural goals are unattainable because of
- structural barriers which cause people to turn to crime.
Conflict theorist Crime
- Criminal laws don’t exist for our good; They exist to preserve the
- interests and power of specific groups with power. The CJS is discriminatory
- and bases its decisions on subordinate group membership.
- Criminology completely ignored the experiences of women. Women’s crime
- will be closer to men’s as gender inequality decreases.
- Interactionists examine the process that defines certain individuals and
- acts as criminal.
- Drug abuse is likely to occur when society is
- unable to control or regulate our behavior. There are norms set for our drug
- abuse. College binge drinking is a cultural norm perpetuated by the media and
- Conflict theorists believe that intentional
- decisions have been made over which dugs are illegal and which ones are not.
- Then powerful politicians and business interest groups are able to manipulate
- our images of drugs and their users.
- Theorists and practitioners have ignored the
- experiences unique to women ethnic groups’ gay and lesbian populations and
- other marginalized groups. There has been a lack of sensitivity to the drug
- abuse experiences beyond the white male experience
Drugs - Interactionist
- Deviant behavior is learned through others.
- Differential association to explain how we learn specific behaviors and norms
- from the groups we have contact with.