1050: wk1 PPT1 for Exam 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Nurses are concerned w/ what two aspects of drugs and the body?
- 1) effect on body
- 2) body's response
What are the nurse's RESPONSIBILITIES in Pharm?
- 1) administer drugs
- 2) assess effects
- 3) intervention to make drug regimen more tolerable
- 4) Teach Pt drug&drug regimen
- 5) Monitor care plan to prevent med. errors
What are drugs made from?
From which is MOST widely used today?
- 1) plants, gums, oils
- 2) animals (e.g., insulin) , antibiotics
- 3) synthetic chemicals (made in labs)
- 4) genetically engineered chemicals
Partially or wholly SYNTHETIC chemical compounds.
Why do synthetic drugs cause less reactions than drugs made from animals?
Synthetic drugs are considered MORE pure, causing less adverse drug reactions.
How many names are assigned to every drug and which is commonly used?
- 1) chemical
- 2) generic *NON-brand name
- 3) brand/trade *registered to specific manufacturer
How are drugs classified as a "pharmacological group or family?
What are the 3 types of classifications?
If they have SIMILAR characteristics.
- 1) Chemical composition: chemical base
- 2) physiologic classification: function
- 3) therapeutic classification: use
What MUST you know prior to administering a med? (3)
- 1) purpose
- 2) dosage
- 3) side effects
Define the Nurse Mngt of Med Admin.
Planning & implementing actions to MAXIMIZE THERAPEUTIC EFFECTS and MINIMIZE ADVERSE EFFECTS and, provide PT & FAMILY EDUC.
What are the "Nurses responsibilities in med admin.?" (5)
- 1) Adhere & obey drug laws
- 2) Know policies for drug admin.
- 3) DO NOT:
- -administer w/o physician's order
- 4) Maintain drug security
- 5) Maintain safe administration
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview