1050: wk3 PPT1 for Exam 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Nursing Process: Assessment
-Types of data retrieved? (2)
- Process of "data collection"
- Establishes "baseline" (compares new data to old)
- Subjective/Objective data.
What are the core Pt variables in regards to med admin.? (what must you consider) (5)
- 1) Chronic conditions
- 2) Drug use
- 3) Allergies
- 4) financial/social support
- 5) pattern of HC
Nursing Process: diagnosis
What should you identify after data is collected? (2)
- 1) Pt's strengths/weaknesses
- 2) problems nursing interventions CAN prevent OR resolve.
Nursing Process: Planning
What is the main focus?
Main focus: develop an individualized plan
Identify: potential interventions & act
Nursing Process: Planning 2 (related to med admin)
What are the "5 rights"?
- Identify actions to MAXIMIZE THERAPEUTIC EFFECTS & MINIMIZE ADVERSE EFFECTS.
- 1) Patient
- 2) drug
- 3) route
- 4) time
- 5) dose
- + documentation & st
Nursing Process: Implementation
Provide what to Pt and family?
What are the 3 D's?
Main focus: Achieve outcomes.
- Provide Pt and family EDUCATION.
Nursing Process: Evaluate
What decision(s) are to be made?
Continue, modify, or terminate the plan of care & the nursing care.
What are some strategies to enhance Pt & family learning?
- Avoid jargon
- Use short words&sentences
- Use visual aids
- Use repetition & reinforcement
- Pt "teach back"
- Ask Pt to demonstrate
Why do nurses teach Pt education in regards to med admin?
- 1) Pt educ. is the KEY safeguard to administration
- 2) Improve med adherence
- 3) Promotes therapeutic outcomes
- 4) Decreases adverse effects
- *5) Makes Pt part of the team
Article: Teaching older adults to self-man age meds: Preventing adverse drug reactions.
1) What is med mismanagment?
2) What human factors influence med mis?
3) What env. factors influence med mis?
4) What are some nursing actions for teaching older adults safe med self mgnt?
- 1) Errors older adults make when admin their own meds.
- 2) bad comm, not enough time to teach, knowledge deficits of older adults.
- 3) Increased costs of meds, limited HC coverage, med storage & expiration dates.
- 4) Seek assistance if side effects, follow-up care before discharge, routine eval. of home self-mgnt.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview