The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Which drugs are used for rapid-short term HTN?
drugs that act in the adrenergic NS, or baroreceptors.
What drugs should be used for long term HTN?
Renin-angiotensin-aldosterone (RAAS) System drugs.
what is primary (essential) HTN?
- No identifiable cause.
- Chronic, progressive disorderPopulation: older adults, African Americans, Mexican Americans, postmenopausal women, obese patients.
- Treated but not cured (lifelong condition).
- Referred to as “essential hypertension”
what's secondary HTN?
- Identifiable primary cause.
- Possible to treat the cause directly.
- Some individuals can actually be cured
What are the nonpharmacological ways to control HTN?
- weight reduction.
- Sodium restriction.
- Elimination or limited consumption of alcohol and tobacco.
- Reduction in dietary saturated fats.
- Regular exercise.
- behavior modification to promote relaxation.
- DASH eating plan.
- Aerobic exercise.
- Maintenance of potassium and calcium intake.
What drugs are contraindicated when pregnancy? which one are okay to use?
- ACE inhibitors, ARBS, and DRIs are contraindicated.
- Clonidine (central acting agent) is okay to use.
which drug is okay to use for pts with eclampsia or preeclampsia?
Hydralazine (vasodilator acting on the arterioles)
What is eclampsia?
a condition in which one or more convulsions occur in a pregnant woman suffering from high blood pressure, often followed by coma and posing a threat to the health of mother and baby.