The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Is UUMN dysarthria one of the original DAB types?
This label is ___, whereas others are ____.
Results in...Weakness to same or other side of lesion? Where? Also accompanied by extreme weakness in extremities on opposite side.
- Anatomic, physiologic
- Other; Face, lips, tongue
- Permanent or temporary
limited attention as a dysarthria because it is typically mild and ___. Frequently co-occurs with... (3)
Other problems mask its presence.
- AOS, aphasia, cognitive problems (UUMN less functional importance)
UUMN is typically caused by a small lesion sometimes not evidenced on imaging especially early on. May be only evidence of neurologic disease. What is the predominant cause?
- small portion: traumatic, neurosurgical resections, tumor
UUMN often occurs w/ aphasia or AOS when lesion is in ___ cerebral hemisphere. Common causes include occlusions where? (3) Can occur w/ cognitive deficits when in ___ hemisphere
- MCA, L or R carotid, other infarcts
Speech characteristics of UUMN dysarthria
imprecise consonants, slow AMR's harsh voice quality, imprecise and irregular AMR's, slow rate, irregular artic breakdown, mild hyper nasality
UUMN is primarily a disorder of ____. Impaired speech production related to (3). Severity ranges from mild to moderate.
- weakness, reduced ROM, decreased fine motor control of lips and tongue
Phonation and UUMN dysarthria?
Prosody and respiration?
- mild to moderate harsh vocal quality
- hypernasality; UUMN lesion alone should result in only mild hyper nasality
- Rarely affected; Decreased rate of speech may impact prosody
What are patient complaints of UUMN dysarthria?
- slurred speech
- thick tongue
- speech gets worse as they tire
- sometimes drooling
How is diagnosis of UUMN dysarthria made?
Purely perceptual; unilateral central face tongue weakness; stroke etiology; articulatory imprecision