Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Which of the following statements about the properties of life is false?
A) All organisms have the ability to take in energy and use it.
B) All organisms have the ability to respond to stimuli from the environment.
C) All organisms have the ability to reproduce.
D) All organisms have the ability to maintain a constant internal temperature.
All organisms have the ability to maintain a constant internal temperature.
2) Life is organized in a hierarchical fashion. Which of the following sequences correctly lists that hierarchy from least inclusive to most inclusive?
A) ecosystem, population, organ system, cell, community, molecule, organ, organism, organelle, tissue
B) cell, molecule, organ system, organ, organelle, population, tissue, organism, ecosystem, community
C) molecule, organelle, cell, tissue, organ, organ system, organism, population, community, ecosystem
D) organism, organ system, tissue, population, organ, organelle, community, cell, ecosystem, molecule
organism, organ system, tissue, population, organ, organelle, community, cell, ecosystem, molecule
3) What is the difference between a tissue and an organ system?
A) The tissue level of organization is more inclusive than the organ system level.
B) Tissues are not composed of cells; organ systems are composed of cells.
C) A tissue cannot exist unless it is a component of an organ system, whereas an organ system can exist independently of tissues.
D) An organ system includes tissues.
An organ system includes tissues.
4) The tree in your backyard is home to two cardinals, a colony of ants, a wasp's nest, two squirrels, and millions of bacteria. Together, all of these organisms represent
A) a species.
B) a community.
C) a population.
D) an ecosystem.
5) If you eat a steak, you are mainly eating beef muscle. What levels of organization are represented in this muscle?
A) organism, population, and community
B) organ, organ system, and organism
C) organelle, cell, and tissue
D) tissue, organ, and organ system
organelle, cell, and tissue
6) Which of the following statements regarding a common cellular activity is false?
A) Cells respond to the environment.
B) Cells develop and maintain complex organization.
C) Cells regulate their internal environment.
D) New cells are derived from cellular components like organelles.
New cells are derived from cellular components like organelles.
7) Your instructor asks you to look into your microscope to see a prokaryotic cell. You will be looking for a cell that
A) has a nucleus.
B) has a membrane.
C) makes up most of the tissues of your body.
D) is much larger than most cells in your body.
is much larger than most cells in your body
8) Which of the following statements about ecosystems is false?
A) Bacteria and fungi recycle energy within an ecosystem.
B) Plants and other photosynthetic organisms are producers in ecosystems.
C) Chemical nutrients cycle within an ecosystem.
D) In the process of energy conversions within an ecosystem, some energy is converted to heat.
Bacteria and fungi recycle energy within an ecosystem
9) The ultimate source of energy flowing into nearly all ecosystems is
10) In an ecosystem, energy
A) cycles along with chemical nutrients.
B) typically flows from consumers to producers to decomposers.
C) typically flows from producers through a series of consumers.
D) comes ultimately from bacteria.
typically flows from producers through a series of consumers
12) Organisms that are prokaryotes are in the domains
A) Bacteria and Archaea.
B) Plantae and Animalia.
C) Eukarya and Archaea.
D) Fungi and Bacteria.
Bacteria and Archaea
13) Members of the kingdom Animalia
A) can obtain their food either by absorption or by photosynthesis.
B) are composed of cells that lack a cell membrane.
C) are heterotrophs.
14) Kingdom Fungi includes species
A) such as yeast and plants.
B) that obtain food by ingestion.
C) that use photosynthesis to obtain food.
D) that obtain food by decomposing dead organisms and absorbing the nutrients.
that obtain food by decomposing dead organisms and absorbing the nutrients.
15) Which of the following is a kingdom within the domain Eukarya?
16) All organisms belonging to the kingdom Plantae
A) are photosynthetic.
B) obtain food by decomposing the remains of dead organisms and absorbing the nutrients.
C) are unicellular and lack a nucleus.
D) are multicellular and lack a nucleus.
17) The teeth of grain-eating animals (such as horses) are usually broad and ridged. This makes the teeth suitable for grinding and chewing. Meat-eating animals (such as lions) have pointed teeth that are good for puncturing and ripping flesh. This illustrates
A) a result of natural selection only.
B) the connection between form and function only.
C) a food web.
D) a result of natural selection as well as the connection between form and function.
Which is the smallest unit of life?
A) a cell
B) a molecule.
C) an organ.
D) a population.
E) an ecosystem
A) includes all populations of species in an area.
B) features the living organisms interacting with the physical and chemical environment.
C) is the sum of all places in Earth's atmosphere, crust, and waters where organisms live.
D) includes members of only one species.
E) is at a higher level than an ecosystem.
includes all populations of species in an area