The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Summarize the Monteverdi-Artusi controversy
- Artusi, in his publication of On the Imperfections of Modern Music, criticized Monteverdi for his madrigal's (Cruda Amaralli) mistakes
- Monteverdi responded that these errors were necessary in order to express the text.
What composition sparked the discussion?
- Cruda Amaralli
What are the key differences b/w the prima and
- prima -
- Harmony= commander
- Prepared dissonances so as not to offend/surprise the ear
- Perfection of melody
- seconda -
- Harmony = commanded
- Second to words use of 2nds, 4ths, tritons, 7ths, and large leaps to create more dramatic
- expression of text.
- More independent vocal parts
- More movement in bass line
What are the key differences b/w the prima andseconda practica
- prima - highly imitative
- seconda - Less imitative, music mimicked/depended on the emotion of text
What are the key differences b/w the prima and seconda practica
prima practica - text not as important as consonant music
seconda practica - text expression = most important aspect of composition
Who ultimately won the argument?
- Monteverdi ultimately won the argument since the seconda practica compositional style gave way to more advanced styles of music
- composition such as in the Baroque era.
- However, composers of the Baroque era
- refined some of Monteverdi’s techniques thus creating more complex music than
- Artusi, but smoother resolutions than Monteverdi.