The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who were important individuals involved in Humanism?
- Josquin de Prez, with his enormous contributions to Renaissance
- Guillaume Dufay
- John Dunstaple
- Leonardo da Vinci
- St. Thomas More
- Martin Luther
- Martin Luther&Henry VIII - anglican church
What were specific instances that shaped Humanism?
- Writing names on compositions
- Guillaume Du Fay composed an isorhythmic motet with intervals preeminent of the Renaissance Era. His motets exemplified the continental fauxbourdon and the addition for instrumentation to choral works. He composed a mass, L’Homme arme, based on the secular chant of the same name.
- The incorporation of secular tunes into religious settings characterizes the budding of humanism throughout Western Europe.
- Battle of Agincourt -battle celebrated w/ song that celebrated nationalism/political things
- Protestant Reformation - individual>church
- Fall of Constantinople - -religion +nationalism
- The invention of the printing press1
What is Humanism?
The study of ancient text and monuments with the aim of extracting a model for thinking and acting.
What did Humanists believe?
- Humanists believed in the power of the individual
- Creativity was much valued
- Humanists desired a world of beauty, truth, and grace
- Humanists studied music, art, and literature
- with the objective of creating a more beautiful, upright population.
- Humanists believed that people, not only God, had the ability to change the world and
- fill it with truth and goodness.
What was the relationship between Humanism and music?
- use music to express text
- Humanists believed music could influence emotions
- They believed in the link between text and music
- Melody lines started to highlight important
- words, such as the name “Eugenius" in Guillaume Dufay's Nuper Rosarum Flores.
Nuper Rosarum Flores
- Written by Guillaume Dufay
- Written for a Church occasion
- Dufay put his name on the composition