Define the evaluation and assessment process.
The eval process for a child is always complex.
The first area to be assessed should be sensory processing.
- Most children with Autism would not be able to complete a standardized assessment. This depends on the severity.
- The effects are pervasive, as noted in the diagnosis, full team evaluation & intervention planning often occurs, particularly within the educational system.
The disciplinary approach is often considered to be most appropriate for these children.
OT would assess the child & the results would be shared with the OTA for collaboration & intervention planning.
In addition to the tests of sensory processing, traditional standardized motor assessments could be helpful. These include the following:
- *Test of Visual Perceptual Skills-Revised
- *Test of Visual Motor Skills-Revised
- *The Beery Developmental Test of Visual-Motor Integration
- *The Bruininks-Oseretsky Test of Motor Proficiency (BOTMP)
- *Miller & Roid
- *Peabody Developmental Motor Scales-2