Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
1. hold on
- means wait
- ‘Could you hold on a moment, please?’
2. hang on
- also means wait! (informal)- ’
- ‘Could you hang on a moment, please?
3. put (a call) through
- means to connect one caller to another-
- ‘I’m just going to put you through now.’
4. get through
- to be connected to someone on the phone-
- ‘I can’t get through to his line at the moment, could you call back later please?’
5. hang up
- means to put the receiver down-
- ‘I think the operator hung up on me, the line just went dead!
’6. call up
- to make a telephone call (mainly used in American English or slang)- ‘
- I’ll call up the theatre, and find out about tickets.
call back .
- to return someone’s call-
- ‘I’ll ask him to call you back, when he gets home
- means to answer a call / lift the receiver to take a call
- ‘No one is picking up, maybe they’re not at home.’
get off (the phone)
- means to stop talking on the phone
- When he gets off the other phone, I’ll pass on your message.
’10. get back to (someone)
- means to return someone’s call-
- ‘When do you think she’ll be able to get back to me?
’11. cut off
- to be disconnected abru`ptly during a telephone conversation-
- ‘I think we got cut off, I can’t hear her anymore.
’12. switch off/turn off
- to deactivate (a cell phone/mobile phone)
- ‘Sorry you couldn’t get through to me. My phone was switched off, because the battery had died.
- means to talk louder
- ‘I’m afraid I can’t hear you very well, could you speak up a little please?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview