Anatomy 231. Head Muscles: Origin Insertion and Action
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Origin= Frontal and maxillary bone and ligaments around the orbit.
- Insertion= Tissue of eyelid
- Acttion= Closes eye. Various parts can be activated individually, produces blinking, squinting and draws eyebrows inferiorly.
Epicranius (frontal belly and occipital belly)
- Bipartite muscle consisting of frontal and occipital bellies connected by the Galea aponeurosis.
- - Frontal origin=Galea aponeurotica.
- insertion= Skin of eyebrows and root of nose.
- -Action= Aponeurosis fixed raises eyebrows.
- - occipital origin= occipital and temporal (mastoid) bone.
- Insertion= Galea aponeurotica.
- Action= Fixes aponeurosis and pulls scalp posteriorly.
- -these two muscles move the scalp back and forward.
- Originates= Zygomatic bone.
- Inserts= skin and muscle at corner of mouth
- Action= raises lateral corners of mouth upward (smiling muscle)
- Origin= Arises indirectly from maxilla and mandible.
- Inserts= Encircles the mouth; inserts into muscle and skin at angles of mouth.
- Action= Closses lips; purses and protrudes lips (kissing and whistling muscle)
- Originates= molar region of maxilla and mandible.
- Inserts= orbicularis oris.
- Action= Compresses cheek, draws corner of mouth laterally.
- Originates= fascia of chest (over pectoral muscles and deltoid)
- Inserts= lower margin of mandible, and skin and muscle at corner of mouth.
- Action= Tenses skin of neck. Helps depress mandible; plus lower lip back and down.
- Originates= Zygomatic arch and zygomatic bone.
- Inserts= Angle and ramus of mandible.
- Action= Elevates mandible
- Origin= Temporal fossa.
- insertion= coronoid process of mandible via a tendon that passes deep to zygomatic arch.
- Action= Closes jaw;Elevates and retracts mandible; maintains position of mandible at rest
- Origin= Body and greater horn of hyoid
- Insertion= inferolateral tongue.
- Action= Depresses tongue and draws its sides downward.
- Origin= Styloid process of temporal bone
- Insertion= Lateral inferior aspect of tongue
- Action= Retracts and elevates tongue.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview