Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are criteria for civil commitment?
- 1) Person has a mental illness and needs treatment
- 2) Person is dangerous to self or others
- 3) Grave disability-inability to care for self
What were the main Suprem Court rulings about Civil Commitment?
- - There are restrictions on involuntary commitment
- - A non-dangerous person can't be committed.
- -Need for treatment alone is not enough.
- -Having a grave disability is not enough,
What were some negative consequences of the supreme court rulings?
- -Criminalization of mentally ill
- - Increase in homelessness
- - Deinstitutionalization
Describe the role of expert witnesses.
They assist in competency determinations, assist in making reliable DSM diagnoses, assess malingering.
What are the 7 rights of research participants?
- 1) The right to be inforemed about the purpose of the research study
- 2) The right to privacy
- 3) The right to be treated with respect and dignity
- 4) The right to be protected from physical and mental harm
- 5) The right to choose to participate or refuse without prejudice or reprisals
- 6) The right to anonymity in reporting of results
- 7) The right to the safeguarding of their records
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview