The flashcards below were created by user
What are criteria for civil commitment?
1) Person has a mental illness and needs treatment
2) Person is dangerous to self or others
3) Grave disability-inability to care for self
What were the main Suprem Court rulings about Civil Commitment?
- There are restrictions on involuntary commitment
- A non-dangerous person can't be committed.
-Need for treatment alone is not enough.
-Having a grave disability is not enough,
What were some negative consequences of the supreme court rulings?
-Criminalization of mentally ill
- Increase in homelessness
Describe the role of expert witnesses.
They assist in competency determinations, assist in making reliable DSM diagnoses, assess malingering.
What are the 7 rights of research participants?
1) The right to be inforemed about the purpose of the research study
2) The right to privacy
3) The right to be treated with respect and dignity
4) The right to be protected from physical and mental harm
5) The right to choose to participate or refuse without prejudice or reprisals
6) The right to anonymity in reporting of results
7) The right to the safeguarding of their records