Sociology 101 Smith
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the: Causes of the division of labor?
- Smith believed that men had a propensity to truck, barter and exchange, and that this is driven by his social and dependent nature.
- This propensity is self-serving.
- Self-interest compels man to specialize because this makes exchange possible and advantageous.
- Specialization of tasks or trades that is specific to an industry.
- People are sorted by habit, custom and education.
What are the positive consequences of the division of labor? (for the individual)
(for the individual): increases dexterity, saves times, increases creativity
What are the positive consequences of the division of labor? (for society)
(for society): Increased productivity, which then leads to universal opulence.
What are the negative consequences of the division of labor? (for the individual)
(for the individual): leads to stupefaction
What are the negative consequences of the division of labor? (for society)
(for society): conflict between laborers and their masters, with the masters having an advantage
Based on the negative consequences of the division of labor; what are the advantages the masters have over the workers?
- - there are fewer of them and can organize easily
- - they concentrate political power in the form of laws
- - they have more resources at their disposal (workers resort to violence; however, nothing comes of it)
Consequences of the division of labor...
- - wages must be enough to support a laborer and his family.
- - the price of labor is based on demand
- - social harmony-the market is self-regulating due to competition
What are the causes of the division of labor?
Productive forces expand of the capitalists
The price of labor is based on demand.....
- - If there is economic growth then wages can increase
- - if there is not economic growth, then wages remain stagnate or decrease with an increase of the labor supply
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview