Sociology 101 SoC - Max Weber
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Modern (secularized) capitalism is what is left after the spirit is gone. Metaphor the "iron cage"/"shell as hard as steel"
- - we work out of habit and not out of a moral calling or duty
- - we are trapped in a greedy, materialist, rationalized world without freedom and personality
- Meaningless pursuit of material wealth and efficiency
Psychological origins of Calivin's worldly asceticism
- due to predestination and not knowing if one was part of the elect
- Calvinist lived their lives as if "they were of the elect"
- by acting this way, others would also perceive that they were part of the elect
Social affinity - birth of capitalism
the protestant reformation was executed by Martin Luther, that created a social reaction toward man's relation with God that evolved into how man lived his life for God's glory in an ascetic manner
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview