Morphine (mod-sev, chronic, post-op pain)
- 10 mg/24 hr
- action: Binds with opioid receptors in the CNS, altering perception of and emotional response to pain.
- Pt teaching:
- -post-op use incentive spirometer.
- -avoid hazardous activities
- SFX: confusion, constipation, hypotension, sedation, urinary retention, N/V (CCHSUNV)
- AFX: RESPIRATORY DISTRESS
- Nurse Interventions:
- -Reassess pain 15 & 30 minutes after giving parenterally/orally
- Alert: Keep opioid antagonist (naloxone) and resuscitation equipment available.
- -Monitor: circ., resp., bladder, and bowel functions carefully.
- -If respirations <12 breaths/minute, withhold dose and notify prescriber.