The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Direct Current (DC)
- A type of electrical current that only flows in one direction.
- ex. Batteries and solar panels (solar cells) use direct current
- Related terms- alternate current (AC)
Alternate Current (AC)
- A type of electrical current in which the direction of the flow of electrons switches back and forth.
- ex. power lines and normal electricity at home are examples of alternate current
- Related terms-direct current (DC)
- A device that is used to reduce or or increase the voltage of an alternate current.
- ex. A phone charger is a type of transformer
- A device that is used to stop the flow of current in an electric circuit for safety precautions.
- ex. The thing in my house that you turn back on when a fuse breaks.
- Related terms- fuse
- A safety device that consists of a strip of wire that melts and breaks an electric circuit when that current goes over and exceeds that the safety level.
- Related terms-circuit breaker
- The rate that an appliance uses electrical energy.
- ex. The fridge uses 350 kWh