Symbolize the following statement, using capital letters to abbreviate the simple statements involved: If oil consumption continues to grow, then either oil imports will increase or domestic oil reserves will be depleted. If oil imports increase and domestic oil reserves are depleted, then, unless a new source of income is found, the nation will go bankrupt. Therefore, the nation will go bankrupt if and only if oil consumption continues to grow.
- B: The nation will go bankrupt.
- C: Oil consumption will continue to grow.
- I: Oil imports will increase.
- R: Domestic oil reserves will be depleted.
- N: A new source of income will be found.
- C ⊃ (I v R)
- (I • R) ⊃ (N v B)
- ∴ B ≡ C