Grain Crops 3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Factors influencing corn dry down?
- Genetic (pericarp, husk, ear declination)
- Environment (temp, humidity, sunshine, rain)
- G*E+Management (time of maturation)
What is the average moisture dry down per day? Does it matter what month the corn matures in?
Yes. .8 percent point/day if August. .4 if crop matures in mid-September
In wheat, what determines the maximum head number and tiller?
In wheat, the head size, number of spikelets per spike, is determined by what?
mid to late tillering
when is kernel number per spikelet in wheat determined?
what determines kernel size in wheat?
resource availability and crop health beginning at flag leaf emergence through grain fill
When should you sow winter wheat in southern MO?
Why the Oct. 14 date?
- Usually within two weeks of frost
- Also, aphid injury/disease
When would you sow spring type wheats in s. mo?
March, early April
Winter wheat - problems if you plant too early?
Too much tillering could "joint", get winter injury
Winter wheat - potential trouble from planting too late?
Thin stands, fewer tillers
Diploid and tetraploid wheat probably occurred when and where?
Before 8000 BC in fertile crescent
Most bread wheat today is what kind of "ploid"?
Wheat was sown in the earliest settlements in N America about when?
1602, 1611, 1621
The US produces more wheat varieties in volume than other countries. Largest variety produced?
- Hard red winter wheat (about 50 percent of all wheat crops)
- Followed by red spring (about 1/5 of all wheat crops)
- Soft red winter and white (about 1/4)
- Durhum (roughly 5 percent)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview