OCC Rock Poshek MUSA139 CRN24288 Final Exam Preparation
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Who/What was the Jimi Hendrix Experience?
- Jimi Hendrix Experience is a band formed by Jimi Hendrix in London with:
- Mitch Mitchell – Drums
- Noel Redding - Bass
What was Jimi’s early career like, how was he “discovered”?
Jimi was a starving artist in his early career and was discovered in 1966 by Chas Chandler of the Animals. Chas was Jimi’s first producer.
For which bands did Hendrix perform as the warmup group?
Did Jimi prefer performing on stage or working in the recording studio?
Who were the Allman Brothers?
- Gregg Allman – vocals, organ
- Duane Allman – lead guitar, slide guitar died in 1971 motorcycle crash
- Dicky Betts – lead guitar replacing Duane
What style of music did the Allman Brothers play?
Known primarily as a blues band.
To which book did White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane refer, which album was it on?
The song “White Rabbit” was on the “Surrealistic Pillow” album and the song referred to the book “Alice in Wonderland” by Lewis Carroll.
Who were the Doors?
- Vocals* – Jim Morrison *lyrics, poetry
- Guitar – Robbie Krieger
- Bass -
- Drums – John Densmore
- Keyboards – Ray Manzarek
What were the Doors’ influences?
- Film, Literature, Poetry, Theater, Philosophy.
- Musical Influences: rock, R&B, classical, jazz.
What were some influences of Jim Morrison?
From where did the Doors get their name?
- William Blake (artist/poet) - “When the doors of perception are cleansed, man will see things as they truly are, infinite.”
- Aldous Huxley - “The Doors of Perception” – about his experience with psychedelic drugs
Who was in Crosby/Stills/Nash and Young, which groups did they come from?
- David Crosby – Byrds
- Steven Stills – Buffalo Springfield
- Graham Nash – Hollies
- Neil Young – Buffalo Springfield
Identify some characteristics of CSN.
- Who were the main members of the Eagles?
- Don Henley
- Glenn Fry
Where was Carlos Santana from?
Born in Tijuana, Mexico and moved to San Francisco, CA when he was 13 years old.
Who were the guitar players in Black Sabbath and Deep Purple?
Ritchie Blackmore for Deep Purple and Tony Iommi for Black Sabbath.
Which instruments are featured in Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon?
Taped voices, sound effects, noise, saxophone and soprano.
Which member of Pink Floyd wrote most of the lyrics for The Wall?
How do you define Jazz Rock?
Jazz horn section with a rock rhythm section (drums, bass, guitar).
Who was Steely Dan?
- Vocals – DonaldFagen
- Guitar – Walter Beck
- On recordings they used top L.A. studio musicians.
Where does the term “Heavy Metal” come from?
Critic, Lester Bangs, popularized the term as a style of music in Creem Magazine.
What is New Wave, what are its characteristics?
Combined the anger of punk with the sophistication of other musical styles and there are no long guitar solos.
Who are some New Wave and Punk groups discussed in this class?
- Sex Pistols
- Velevt Underground
- Iggy Pop and the Stooges
- New York Dolls
- Patti Smith
- Dead Kennedys
- Black Flag
- Iggy Pop
Who are some New Wave groups discussed in this class?
- Elvis Costello
- Talking Heads
What is MIDI?
Musical Instrument Digital Interface
What is SKA?
Originated in Jamaica in the late 1950’s. Precursor to rocksteady and reggae. Combined elements of Caribbean mento and calypso with American jazz and rhythm and blues. Characterized by walking bass line accented with rhythms on the upbeat.
What group did Chrissie Hynde perform with and where was she from.
Chrissie Hynde was the lead singer and songwriter for The Pretenders. She was born in Akron, Ohio.
Which band played “Sunday Bloody Sunday” and what is it about?
U2 – an appeal to end the violence in Northern Ireland.
What is the “Punk” attitude?
- 1976 – Punk stood for the frustration of the British youth-many of whom were unemployed.
- Punk attitudes can be found in the music of Elvis Presley, The Rolling Stones, The Who and Jimi Hendrix. However, these musicians were not thoroughly dedicated to punk – it was only part of their entertainment package.
Who “discovered” Bruce Springsteen?
Columbia Records labeled him “the new Bob Dylan” because of his lyrical talent and because he was discovered by producer John Hammond as a solo.
What was Bruce Springsteen’s first commercially successful album?
3rd Album – “Born to Run” (Sept. 1975) – widely anticipated; October 1975 he was on the cover if Time and Newsweek at the same time.
What is Spinal Tap?
Fictitious English rock band.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview