1) What are the 8 characteristics of biological membranes?
- a. They are sheetlike structures, only two molecules thick, that form closed boundaries between different compartments
- b. Membranes consist mainly of lipids and proteins.
- c. Membrane lipids are small molecules that have both hydrophilic and hydrophobic moeieties
- d. Specific proteins mediate distinctive functions of membranes
- e. Membranes are noncovalent assemblies
- f. Membranes are asymmetric
- g. Membranes are fluid structures. Lipid molecules diffuse rapidly in the plane of the membrane
- h. Most cell membranes are electrically polarized