The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is a protocol?
Agreed rules of communication and behaviour
What are the network layers IP stack in order?
- 5. Application
- 4. Transport
- 3. Network
- 2. Data Link
- 1. Physical
What is the physical layer?
The medium through which signals travel
What is the Data Link Layer
Layer 2. Talks to nodes which you can reach without an intermediary (formats messages correctly and sends to physical layer)
What is the addressing mechanism for the Data Link Layer?
Ethernet, WiFi, infrared, MAC addresses
What is the Network Layer?
- Network Layer (3) communicates with any host on the 'internet'
- - finds a node closer to destination
- - sends packet in that direction
What address does Network Layer use?
uses IP or internet protocol
What is the Transport Layer?
Transport Layer (4) uses connection oriented, stream based protocols
What addresses do the Transport Layer use?
- Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
- - connection orientated, stream based
- - in order
- - doesnt move on until current part of stream has been delivered
- User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
- - connectionless and messaged based
- - unreliable
- - DP faster if dont mind messages going missing without aknowledgement
What is the Application Layer?
- Application layer (5) is the layer that builds on layer 4
- - SSH, HTTP, bit torrent, Skype
- - Telnet (TCP)
- - netcat (TCP, UDP)