Edexcel Core Science
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What do we extract metals from?
Which two methods are used to extract metals?
- Heating with carbon
Describe when a metal can be extracted by heating with carbon?
When the metal is lower than carbon in the reactivity series
Describe when electrolysis is used to extract a metal
When the metal is higher than carbon in the reactivity series
What does oxidation mean?
What does reduction mean?
The loss of oxygen
Why should we recycle metals?
- To preserve the metal ore
- To prevent landfill sites filling up
What is a property of aluminum?
It has a low density
Why is copper used in electrical wiring?
- Good electrical conductor
Why is gold used to make jewellry?
Because it is unreactive
What is an alloy?
A mixture of metals
Why are pure metals soft?
- The atoms are all the same size
- They are arranged in layers
- Which can slide over each other easily
Why are alloys hard?
- The atoms are different sizes
- The layers are distorted
- They cannot slide over each other easily
What is a smart alloy?
An alloy which returns to its original shape on heating
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview