militant [mil-i-tuh nt]
- 1.vigorously active and aggressive, especially in support of a cause:militant reformers.
- 2.engaged in warfare; fighting.
- 4.a person engaged in warfare or combat.
- verb (used without object)
- 1.to be stretched or spread out in an unnatural orungraceful manner:The puppy's legs sprawled in all directions.
- 2.to sit or lie in a relaxed position with the limbs spread out carelessly or ungracefully:He sprawled across the bed.
- a puzzling or inexplicable occurrence or situation:His disappearance is an enigma that has givenrise to much speculation.
- 2.a person of puzzling or contradictory character:To me he has always been an enigma, oneminute completely insensitive, the next moved to tears.
- 3.a saying, question, picture, etc., containing ahidden meaning; riddle.
- 1.inclined; disposed; given; prone:too apt to slander others.
- 2.likely:Am I apt to find him at home?3.unusually intelligent; able to learn quickly and easily:an apt pupil.
- 4.suited to the purpose or occasion; appropriate:an apt metaphor; a few apt remarks on world peace.