Edexcel Core Chemistry
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Describe a hydrocarbon
A compound which contains hydrogen and carbon ONLY
What is crude oil made of?
A mixture of hydrocarbons
Which process is used to separate crude oil?
List the fractions of crude oil in order and give a use for each
- gases, domestic heating and cooking
- petrol, fuel for cars
- kerosene, fuel for aircraft
- diesel oil, fuel for some cars and trains
- fuel oil, fuel for large ships
- bitumen, surface roads and roofs
How do the fractions of crude oil differ from each other?
- number of carbon atoms
- boiling points
- ease of ignition
Which element reacts with a fuel during combustion?
Which products are produced during the complete combustion of a hydrocarbon?
Which products are produced during the incomplete combustion of a hydrocarbon and why?
- Carbon monoxide or carbon (soot)
- Because there is insufficient oxygen
Which hazard does carbon monoxide have and why?
- Because it prevents the blood carrying oxygen
What problems does soot cause?
- Damages decorations
- Causes breathing problems
Which impurity can hydrocarbons contain?
When hydrocarbons burn how is sulfur dioxide produced?
The sulfur impurities react with oxygen
Which pollution problem does sulfur dioxide cause and how is is caused?
- Acid rain
- When the sulfur dioxide dissolves in rain water
Describe the environmental effects of acid rain
- Corrodes limestone statues
- Kills fish in lakes and rivers
What are the 3 greenhouse gases?
- Carbon dioxide
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview