1350: colostomy care
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What do you want to inspect with a patient who has a colostomy
Assessment and diagnostics.
Inspect size (stabilizes in 6-8 wks)
Keep skin around stoma site clean and dry.
Measure Pt's fluid I/O.
What should you encourage and avoid when patient teaching?
- self-care role
- Keep site dry and clean, ODOR-FREE
- drink 2 qts (or liters) of water daily
- May resume normal activities
- diet & exercise
- Foods that cause diarrhea or flatus; high fiber
- Use meds only as needed
- If using suppository, use ones containing anesthetics.
What is the purpose for witch hazel (ointment)?
Decreases skin irritation and itching along with inflammation and infection.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview