1350: colostomy care
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What do you want to inspect with a patient who has a colostomy
Assessment and diagnostics.
Inspect size (stabilizes in 6-8 wks)
Keep skin around stoma site clean and dry.
Measure Pt's fluid I/O.
What should you encourage and avoid when patient teaching?
- self-care role
- Keep site dry and clean, ODOR-FREE
- drink 2 qts (or liters) of water daily
- May resume normal activities
- diet & exercise
- Foods that cause diarrhea or flatus; high fiber
- Use meds only as needed
- If using suppository, use ones containing anesthetics.
What is the purpose for witch hazel (ointment)?
Decreases skin irritation and itching along with inflammation and infection.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview