The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the differences between a clear liquid diet versus a full liquid diet?
- transparent liquids
- provides fluids & electrolytes
- Rests GI tract
- Full liquid diet:
- clear liquids + opaque fluids
- purpose: increases work for GI system, provides fluids & electrolytes, some nutrients.
What are advantages and disadvantages of of a clear liquid diet vs a full liquid diet?
- advantages: easy to absorb, little or no residue.
- disadvantages: boring, deficient in nutrients, 1-2 day limit.
- full liquid:
- advantages: better than clear liquids
- disadvantages: difficult to meet nutritional needs.
What type of Pts would use a clear diet?
a full liquid diet?
clear diet: Pts w/ diarrhea, vomiting, prep for GI surgery, diagnostic tests, first post-op diet.
full liquid diet: post-GI surgery, less severe diarrhea.