The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- -Can not hydrogen bond to other esters
- -Two acceptors (O's) and no donors
- -Not as soluble in water as alcohols or acids
- -Can H-bond with water, and water has H-bond donors
- -Boiling point lower than alcohols or acids, higher than alkanes
carboxylic acid + alcohol --> ester + H2O
- -Carboxylic acid used in synthesize is parent molecule
- -Convert suffix from "-oic acid" to "-oate"
- -Alcohol used in synthesize is the substituent
- -Convert suffix from "-ol" to "-yl"
- -Space between substituent and parent
- - C-X single bond where X is F, Cl, Br, and I
- -Substituent name=halogen
- -The root name is based on the longest name containing the halogen
- -The chain is numbered so as to give the halogen the lowest possible number
- C-N single bond
- -Hydrogen bonding possible (for primary and secondary amines only)