Diphenhydramine: Uses, Dosages, Pharmacokinetics and Interactions
- Use: to decrease the effects of allergic reactions and the extrapyramidal symptoms following an antipsychotic medication
- Dosage: Adult- 25 to 50 mg IV/IM Peds- 2 to 5 mg/kg IV/IM
- Onset is 15 to 30 min Duration is under 10 min
- Does not cross blood-brain barrier
- Inactive in the liver, kidney and plasma by monoamine oxidase and COMT
- Excreted in Urine
- Interactions: Alcohol and other CNS depressants, MAO inhibitors compound CNS depression.