Chemistry glossary terms chapter 4
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Matter is anything in the universe that occupies space, and has mass.
- e.g. tree,dog,human,water...
- A pure substance is a substance that is composed of only one type of atom.
- e.g. A diamond
- A mixture is a mix of two or more pure substances that can be separated with physical methods , such as distillation.
- e.g. salt water
- One of over one hundred substances that are impossible to break down any further than the state they are in.
- e.g. Phosphorus,copper tin...
- A compound is a thing that is composed of more than one element,they are chemically bonded together.
- e.g. pure water
- A physical property is anything that can be used to describe the physical components of a thing.
- e.g. malleability, clarity...
Viscosity is used to describe the difficulty a liquid has flowing.
- Melting point is the temperature that a solid begins to melt at.
- e.g. ice: 0 degrees Celsius
- Boiling point is the temperature that a liquid starts to boil at.
- e.g. water: 100 degrees celcius
Solubility is the maximum amount of a substance that can be dissolved in a set amount of another substance.
Density is the ratio of mass divided by volume in a substance/the amount of matter in that substance.
- A chemical property is something that is observed during a reaction of that substance.
- e.g. combustibility
Combustibility is the ability of a substance to combust or light on fire.
Stability is the ability of a substance to be stable.
The degree that a substance can damage/hurt an organism.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview