chapter 5 glossary terms
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
An atom is the thing that makes up all matter, it can not be separated.An atom consists of a nucleus,protons,neutrons,electrons
A subatomic particle that carries a negative charge(there is electrons on all atoms).
- A particle that is smaller than a atom.
- e.g. neutron
A nucleus is the center of all atoms, it contains protons and electrons.
A positively charged subatomic particle that is in the nucleus, the amount of protons in a object determine what that substance is.
A neutral charged particle in the nucleus
A energy level is a different level in which neutrons orbit the nucleus. The first level can only have 2 electrons but every other level can hold up to eight.
The number of protons in a atom it determines what the substance will be, and its place in the periodic table.
The number of protons and neutrons that are in the nucleus it is in the bottom right corner of each element ion the periodic table.
- A isotope is a element with the same number of protons but a different number of electrons.
- e.g. carbon 14
A diagram that displays a element on a atomic level.
Atomic mass is the weighted average mass of a atom of a certain element.
A periodic table is a table that divides all known elements into different categories such as , metals or non metals , their reactivity, radioactivity,amount of protons etc.
A metal is a element that generally has a luster,high conductivity, and high malleability, they are found on the right side of the periodic table.
A non-metal is a element that is not able to conduct heat of electricity very well. they are on the right side of the periodic table.
A metalloid is a element that shares some characteristics of metals and non metals, they are found between the metals and non-metals.
A period is a horizontal row on the periodic table the elements in the same period all have the same number of occupied energy levels.
A group is a vertical column on the periodic table, all elements in the same group have the same number of valence electrons.
- An alkali metal is any of the elements in the first group of the periodic table.
- Alkali metals are extremely reactive.
Alkaline earth metals
- An alkaline earth metal is any of the element in group 2 they are reactive and are found in nature.
- e.g. beryllium
- A halogen is any element found in group 17, they are extremely reactive non-metals.
- e.g. Flourine
- A noble gas is any element found in group 18 on the periodic table,they are extremely stable due to their complete valence shells.
- e.g. Helium
A valence electron is any electron that is on the farthest occupied energy level on a atom.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview