The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
1The average height of the continents above sea level is greater than the average depth of the ocean?
2Most of water on earth is contained…
- a. in the ocean
- b. in the atmosphere
- c. in land ice, groundwater, and all the freshwater lakes and rivers
- d. in it’s interior
3What orderly process do scientists use to verify or reject theories?
- a. Experimental Method
- b. Hypothetical Method
- c. Scientific Method
- d. Observational Method
4Life on Earth almost certainly originated
- a. from other planets.
- b. in ponds.
- c. on land.
- d. in the ocean.
5What element makes up the most abundant form of matter in the universe?
- a. hydrogen
- b. oxygen
- c. iron
- d. helium
6A supernova is:
- a. a large galaxy.
- b. a protostar.
- c. an exploding star.
- d. a solar nebula.
- a. Study and observe wave dynamics, currents, and ocean-atmosphere interaction.
- b. Are concerned with the composition of the inner Earth, the mobility of the crust, the characteristics of seafloor sediments, and the history of Earth’s ocean, continents and climate.
- c. Study the ocean’s dissolved solids and gases, and their relationships to the geology and biology of the ocean as a whole.
- d. Design and build oil platforms, ships, harbors, and other structures that enable us to use the ocean wisely.
8Earth’s ocean first formed
- a. from the cloud that formed the sun and planets.
- b. when the surface became cool enough for liquid water to collect.
- c. before the atmosphere.
- d. from water contained in comets.
9Interlinking lines of evidence tell us that the age of Earth is approximately
- a. 6,000 years old.
- b. 5 million years old.
- c. 4.6 billion years old.
- d. 10 billion years old.
10How long ago might life on Earth have originated?
- a. 560 million years
- b. 2.0 billion years
- c. 3.85 billion years
- d. 4.6 billion years
11If you were looking around our solar system for another planetary body that could have life, the most important thing you would look for is liquid water.
12Of all the bodies in the solar system, researchers are increasingly certain that Earth is the only location that contains liquid water
13The Earth has always had an atmosphere about the same as it is today.
14The scientific theory for the origin of the universe is known as the Accretion Theory.
15The world ocean covers about 97% of the Earth's surface.
16How long might our descendants enjoy life on earth as we know it today before our Sun dies?
- a. 1 Billion Years
- b. 5 Billion Years
- c. 10 Billion Years
- d. 100 Billion Years
17The most accepted explanation of the moon's origin is __________________.
- a. it is a captured asteroid.
- b. it is a remnant of the planet Saturn.
- c. it is a remnant of the planet Jupiter.
- d. it was formed by the collision of the Earth with a Mars-sized planetary body.
18Earth’s heavy elements came from _________________.
- a. comets
- b. the deaths of ancient stars
- c. asteriods
- d. meteors
19An explanation that is supported by many observations, has no major inconsistencies, and is accepted by most scientists is _____________________.
- a. a scientific method
- b. a hypothesis
- c. a theory
- d. an observation
20Life on earth is formed of aggregations of a few basic kinds of compounds?
- a. Hydrogen
- b. Oxygen
- c. Carbon
- d. Nitrogen