COMG 251 Final Exam
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the goal of a Persuasive Speech?
To influence the attitudes, beliefs, and or behaviors of audience members
Challenges of Persuasive Speech
- dealing with more controversial topics
- more active listeners
- different audiences
You can move anyone into becoming strongly opposed or strongly in favor
Question of Fact
- the question of the truth or falsity of an assertion.
- Ex. Will the economy be better or worse in the future
Question of Value
- A question about the worth, rightness, or morality of an idea or action
- Ex. Is Capital Punishment ethical or unethical?
Question of Policy
- A question of whether or not a specific course of action should be taken
- Ex. What should be done in order to improve the quality of UHM students?
Methods of persuasion
- Building credibility
- using evidence
- appealing to emotions
- Aristotles name for credibility
- within credibility we look for competence and caring
credibility before you speak
produced during the speech
Produced at the end of the speech
How to enhance credibility
- Explain competence
- Establish common ground
- Aristotles name for logical appeal
- using evidence and reasoning
Types of Reasoning
- specific instances
- analogical reasoning
hasty generalization from insufficient evidence
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview