The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is Lippman's Triangular Relationship? Describe the three points
- Public affairs: things in the environment that you interact with
- Public opinion: things that goes on inside your head, an idea (needs,wants)
- Public Opinion (capitalized): putting those visions into action
- All of these external limitations effect how the flow of info is further filtered by the preconceptions and prejudices which interpret them then take those into a action
What is mean by a "pseudo - environment"
reality is too big and too complex to process so we create a "Perceptual - Screen" (filter) that we use to process reality. It is made out of fiction
Factors that limit access to facts
- Artificial censorship: event, something, or someone blocking us from getting information. ex) media. It distorts reality and compresses events and information -> thus we are unable to get the entire story
- time of day: availability
- social circles: we only associate those with agreeable and similar opinons
- Feels that a representative gov't can't work unless there is an expert/independent organization to provide political leaders w/ facts to make those decisions.
- Media is unfit for the job because they are for profit.
- Solution: academics/political scientists