Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
____ is of biological charactersitics determinging male or female
only recognizing family on mothers side
cultural belief that human groups have mystical relationship between human, animals, plants
associated with saying culture more than biology influences who we are
1 reason why coup occured and 1 major outcome
- mel zelaya wanted to raise the minimum wage
- deepened the neoliberal party
- series of human rights protests
T/F religion is a human universal. explain why?
- every culture has different recognitions of super natural powers
What does avunculocal mean
couple takes up residence with husbands maternal uncle
describe 4 major ways the dobe ju'hoansi have changed over time.
- use of alcoholism
- increased violence
- foraging to farming system
- use of state infrastructures - school hospitals
countries associted with third world were also not coincidentally ______ by european powers
colonized and then taken over my american imperialism expansion
explain why on a world wide level rites of passages are more common for boys then girls
- on a social level boys and girls are seen differently on a worldwide level
- boys transition from remaining in a womans world into a mans world by working out in the field, hunting, and farming. girls on the other hand remain in the household
inequality between men and women with unequal access to resources, power, prestige is _____
the idea that there is an interdependence in nations economically and politically
world systems theory
If a person in the US has a white father and black mother. explain why this person would be considered black
rule of hypodecent forces to categorize children into the minority group (unequal access to wealth power and prestige)
explain in what context we consider polyandry and polygyny an economic adaptation.
- if there is a scarcity of women to go around it is ideal to have multiple husbands
- there is a greater economic power regarding shared labor because the responsibilites are distributed
the term hispanic and latino are categories of _____
if an anthropologists has both medical background and long term commitment to the people he is working with we can consider anthropologists to be both _____ & _____
- medical anthropologists
- engaged anthropologists
describe difference between state and government
- The State is more or less permanent, while government is temporary and changes frequently.
- The State possesses sovereignty - Its authority is absolute and unlimited. Powers of government are delegated and limited by the state through its constitution
performance of rites and spells intended to harm others is _____ and can involve imitative and contagious principles
describe historical circumstances for prementrual syndrome
- In WWI & II when the men are away, the women go out to get jobs, when they come back the women go back to the household.
- Women fought against this in the feminist movement.
- After these rights were enacted there were other "justifications" of womens inability to be in the workforce due to mentsruation and hormones affecting job production
explain why anthropologists would object to recieving US funding by the US government or CIA. give examples of collaborations with corporations.
- main ethical concern is to protect informants and to not bring harm to the people being studied.
- organizations that fund often times have different agendas in regards to what they expect from data collected.
- we must be cognizant of nationalist agendas and their dictations with the research, overall its an anthropologists responsibility to protect.
describe 1 anthropological explantion for incest taboo theory
- familiarity deters sexual attraction
- restrictive rules based on unacceptable sexual relations between certain kinds of relatives
reason for poverty is because of unequal access to water, land, etc. what explanation is this
inequality explanation (for underdevelopment of third world countries)
idea that household is the sphere of reproduction while production occurs outside is ______
doctrine of seperate spheres
what are some meanings of Malafia for women beyond its meanings
- there are a lot of different meanings all signify status, wealth, class, and social interests
______ is assocaited with free trade ideologies and that each region will produce what it is suited to produce
over populated have too few resources and cant produce enough food for everyone
economic system based on goal of profit making
ethnic race in japan _____
_____ is about decreasing of state sponsored services
____ is when questions, theory, and methods are developed by anthropologists and population in question
_____ is the political, social, economic domination of a territory and its people by a foreign power for an extended time
school teachers in honduras are protesting so that schools remain _______
public not private
What defines a race?
- *Skin color
- *Eye color
- *Geographical location
- explains the existence of "underdeveloped" countries and the unequal relationships between "first world" and "third world" countries.
- argues that poverty and "underdevelopment" are consequence of capitalist colonial intervention
- opposing ethnocentrism
- one culture should not be judged by the standards of another culture.rules of all cultures deserve equal respectNot a moral position, but methodological one
judging other cultures by using one’s own cultural standards
what is holistic approach?
Anthropologists look at what it means to be human by looking at the 4 field approach examining all aspects of humanity
process by which a child learns his or her language
what is rapport?
trust among researcher and research participants
what is culture
- socially transmitted, often symbolic,
- aspects that shape behavior and society
field method in which the observer shares in community activities
focus shifts from that of locals to the ethnographers
approach investigates how local people think
ethnographer relies on local people to explain things