The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
concept of civilization
- concept of "civilization" for Freud
- Mastery over nature, science and technique always forging forward
- Cleanliness & hygiene
- Culture: Achievements of the human spirit: arts, philosophy…
- Laws, taboos and customs: The community restricts the individual’s possibilities for satisfaction.
two basic human instincts
- eros - desire to be loved; sexual energy, life instinct
- thanatos - aggression; death instinct
structure of the psyche
- Ego - persona of individual developed by Super Ego and Id interactions
- Super Ego - conscience, developed by external forces (parents [father] & civilization); represses Id
- Id - unconscious space, instincts
conflict between instinctual satisfaction and social demands
- Civilization creates frustrations: it diminishes individual freedom because the power of the individual is sacrificed to the power of the group.
- civilization changes us from the inside, by creates a punishing structure inside our mind: guilt, conscience, or “fear of oneself.”= fear of social disapproval
- Leads to these set controls taught by parents which ultimately make us unhappy