The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What to consider when using the SURVEY method?
- population sampling type
- what will I ask about how does this answer the research question?
- close or open-ended questions?
- word choice
PROS and CONS
- PROS:reaches many people, is cheap, generalizable, standardized (reliable method of inquiry), can analyze data (similarities, differences, trends, make predictions)
- CONS: inflexibility(responses may be confused by questions - unable to clarify), validity (questions are standardized, difficult to ask beyond general questions which may only be understood by a broad range of participants), respondent dishonest, lack of responses can occur
- socioeconomic status
Structured (close-ended) best for
- (1) have a through understanding of the responses so you can appropriately develop the answer choices,
- (2) not trying to capture new ideas or thoughts
For degrees of emotion or opinion use...
- ranking or rating system
- ie unsatisfied - extremely satisfied
- best for exploring new ideas
- can be used with close-ended questions
- ie Other:___________
Surveys need... (8)
lists must cover all possible responses
each answer is unique (don't overlap)
- all questions are relevant to reduce distraction
- consistency to not confuse respondent (time from minutes to hours not ok)
- provide instructions
- questions are short and concise
- only one question at a time