The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Experiment Design (5)
- Define research problem
- formulate research hypothesis which is tested against the null hypothesis (trying to disprove, reject, nullify – usually common view) [alternative hypothesis- researcher's hypothesis]
- Pretest-Posttest (check if groups are different before the manipulation starts and effects the manipulation; however, sometimes pretests influence effect)
- Identify control/treatment group
- Setting: lab or natural?
receives the experimental change
does not receive the experiment change
PROS and CONS
- PROS: the only method that allows us to draw cause-and-effect conclusions.
- CON: experimenter bias, difficulty controlling variables, may not generalize to real-life situations (if lab), expensive, time consuming