Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the difference between a radical behaviorist and a methodological behaviorist?
Methodological behaviorists have no interest in things they cannot observe and will not apply the principles of behavior analysis to unobservable events. Radical behaviorists are willing to extend the interpretive analysis to not only what we see publicly but to what we see privately as well.
**JABA is written from strictly a methodological point of view.
This is why radical behaviorists have no problem talking about things that have no data to support them, we just extend the analysis.
What is the difference between a setting event and an EO?
How would Skinner explain "theory of mind"?
How might a tact of private events be shaped through collateral effects?
- The response “toothache” is generally transmitted on the basis of responses which are elicited by the same stimulus but which do not need to be set up by an environmental contingency.
- The community infers the private stimulus, not from the accompanying public stimuli, but from collateral, generally unconditioned and at least non-verbal, responses (hand to jaw, facial expressions, groans, and so on)
How might a tact of private events be shaped through public accompaniment?
One may teach a child to say “that hurts” in agreement with the usage of the community by making the reinforcement contingent upon public accompaniments of painful stimuli
A child skins their knee and it is bleeding, saying “that hurts” is an example of a public accompaniment. The behaviors (crying, wincing, etc.) that a person engages in are collateral effects
What characterizes the VB approach?
Sundberg & Michael (2001)
- Same basic behavior principles
- Uses Skinner’s Definition
- A classification of language that identifies the verbal operant as the unit of analysis as opposed to parts of speech
- Recognition of the differences in the controlling variables that differentiate one verbal operant from the other
- Language assessment that measures response units across verbal operants as opposed to “the traditional linguistic unit of words and meanings
- **Topography-based VB vs. selection-based
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview