Phrasal Verbs - A, B
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
ask someone out
- invite on a date
- Ex.: Brian asked Judy out to dinner and a movie.
- ask many people the same question
- Ex.: I asked around but nobody has seen my wallet.
add up to something
- Ex.: Your purchases add up to $205.32.
back something up
- Ex.: You'll have to back up your car so that I can get out.
back someone up
- Ex.: My wife backed me up over my decision to quit my job.
- Ex.: The racing car blew up after it crashed into the fence.
blow something up
- add air
- Ex.: We have to blow 50 balloons up for the party.
- stop functioning (vehicle, machine)
- Ex.: Our car broke down at the side of the highway in the snowstorm.
break something down
- divide into smaller parts
- Ex.: Our teacher broke the final project down into three separate parts.
- force entry to a building
- Ex.: Somebody broke in last night and stole our stereo.
break into something
- enter forcibly
- Ex.: The firemen had to break into the room to rescue the children.
break something in
- wear something a few times so that it doesn't look/feel new
- Ex.: I need to break these shoes in before we run next week.
- Ex.: The TV station broke in to report the news of the president's death.
- end a relationship
- Ex.: My boyfriend and I broke up before I moved to America.
- start laughing (informal)
- Ex.: The kids just broke up as soon as the clown started talking.
- Ex.: The prisoners broke out of jail when the guards weren't looking.
break out in something
- develop a skin condition
- Ex.: I broke out in a rash after our camping trip.
bring someone down
- make unhappy
- Ex.: This sad music is bringing me down.
bring someone up
- raise a child
- Ex.: My grandparents brought me up after my parents died.
bring something up
- start talking about a subject
- Ex.: My mother walks out of the room when my father brings up sports.
bring something up
- Ex.: He drank so much that he brought his dinner up in the toilet.
- get upset
- Ex.: The woman broke down when the police told her that her son had died.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview