chaptern14 complications of labor and birth
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
preterm labor is..
the onset of labor between 2- and 37 weeks gestation
to most common factor that lead to preterm birth
preterm labor and premature rupture of membranes.
pg 281 (saftey alert) risk factor for preterm labor
- history of preterm delivery
- multifetal pregnancy
- bacterial vaginosis
- short cervix
- substance abuse
s/s of preterm labor
- uterine cramping like menstrual cramps
- ab cramping with or without vomit or diarrhea any vaginal bleeding
- change in vaginal discharge
- vaginal pelvic pressure
- low back pain
- thigh pain intermittent or persistent
STOPPING PRETERM LABOR! how?
use of tocolytic agents
goal of tocolytic therapy
to delay delivery until steroids can hasten (to move or travel quickly) lung maturity of fetus
tocolytics table 14-1 pg 282
- ritodrine- SE maternal and fetal tachycardia, SOB, nausea and vomit tremor, hypokalemia and calcemia and hyperglycemia
- magnesium sulfate
- nifedipine (procardia) (calcium channel blocker
- terbutaline (brethine)
- bethasone (dexamethasone)
PPROM preterm premature rupture of membranes complications
infection and compression of cord and prolapse
examination of amniotic fluid underneath microscope
infection of amniotic sac is called?
cause of infection of amniotic sac (chorioamnionsitis)
prematurely ruptured membranes b/c barrier to uterine cavity is broken
what is dystocia?
dystocia results from problems with the 4 P's what problems?
- 1. powers: abnormal uterine activity ineffective uteine contractions
- 2. passageway: abnormal pelvic size or shape or other condition that interferes with descent of presenting part (tumors or resistance)
- 3. passenger: abnormal fetus size or presentation
- 4.pysche: past experiences, culture, prep and support system
management of women with premature rupture of the membranes PROM
women with PROM
natural enhancement to induce labor. sex, seaweed, primrose oil (pg 289 under CAM therapy)
unnatural, med was given to induce labor
aka laminariaa ..seaweed thst induces labor
-what is the risk to the fetus
- -applying a cup called a vacuum extractor, to the fetal head and withdrawinig air from cup.
removal of fluid for hydramnios cancuase what?
removal of excess amniotic fluid may cause apruptio placentae
condition when the umbilical cord precedes the fetal present part
prolapsed umbilical cord
factors that contribute to umbilical cord prolapse (7)
- 1. rupture of membranes before fetal head is engaged; carrying a loop of the umbilical cord into the pelvis
- 2. small fetus
- 3.breech presentation
- 4.transverse lie
- 5.. hydramnios
- 6.unusally long cord
- 7. multifetal pregnancy
indications for cesarean birth
-previous cesarean birth with vertical scar
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview