American Cultures Industrialization and Urbanization
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
7 features of Industrial Growth
- 1 CW
- 2 improving ppl's daily lives
- 3 England Industrial Revolution
- 4 inventors and scientists
- 5 immigration
- 6 natural resources
- 7 capitalism
what did Adam Smith write?
The Wealth of the Nations
what about the government?
- Adam Smith - The Wealth of Nations
- fair laws
- military & naval protection
- protective tariffs
who invented the Telegraph (morse code)?
who invented the Sewing Machine?
who invented Alternative Current?
who invented the Telephone?
Alexander Graham Bell
first two Suspension Bridges?
Brooklyn Bridge and Roebling bridge
how did railroads transform America?
- 1 transport
- 2 shipping
- 3 time zone
what does henry Ford help develop?
what is the Impact of Industrialization?
- 1 linking world markets
- 2 changes society
- - farming tech.
- - move to industrial centers
- - repetitive factory work
- - lower prices for goods, higher costs
- 3 environmental issues
- - industrial and mining wastes
what are the Advantages of Corporations?
- 1 organizers can raise large sums of $ by selling stock
- 2 stockholders enjoy limited liability
- 3 a corporation is steady because it is not dependent on a specific owner
- 4 monopoly - some corporations tried to control all levels of production
Andrew Carnegie Integration?
John Rockefeller Integration?
How is Life in the Factories?
- 1 different family structure
- 2 language barriers
- 3 sweatshops
- 4 poor working conditions
- 5 no safety regulations or workman's compensation
Management VS Labor
- 1 collective bargaining
- 2 socialism
- 3 Knights of Labor
- 4 American Federation of Labor
why the old immigrants feel threatened by the new?
- 1 cultural differences
- 2 job opportunities
- 3 ethnic/religious differences (prejudice)
Push Factors of Immigration
- 1 persecution
- 2 economic hardship
- 3 loss of jobs
- 4 war
Pull factors of Immigration
- 1 rel and political freedom
- 2 cheap land
- 3 factory jobs
- 4 follow family
what are Characteristics of Urbanization?
- 1 Bright Light Syndrome
- 2 hard work, little $
- 3 magnet for economic and social opps
- 4 mass transit
- 5 pronounced class distinctions
- 6 new opps for women
- 7 squared living conditions for many
- 8 political machines/labor unions
- 9 ethnic neighborhoods
what are Problems of Urbanization?
- 1 disease ran rampant
- 2 sewers backed up
- 3 poor ventilation/ overcrowding
- 4 tuberculosis
- 5 crime/prostitution
- 6 ethnic violence
- 7 fires
- 8 sewers in rivers
- 9 pollution
how the AF of L would help the workers
- 1 catered to the skilled worker
- 2 represented workers in matters of national legislation
- 3 maintained a national strike fund
- 4 evangelized the cause of unionism
- 5 prevented disputes among the many craft unions
- 6 mediated disputes b/t management & labor
- 1 northern and western europe escaping religious turmoil or seeking economic opportunities (protestants)
- 2 irish and german immigrants - potato famine & revolutions in german states (mostly catholic)
- 3 "new immigrants" - beginning 1870s southern & eastern Europe (mostly poor, settled in cities, Jewish, catholic)
- 1 decision to come
- 2 hard & costly journey
- 3 steerage - worst accomodations on the ship
- 4 uncertain future/finding employment & housing
- 5 assimilation - learning the language, understanding cultural norms
- 6 "melting pot" excluded ethnic minorities
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview