The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
State board of veterinary medical examiners
Certified Veterinary Assistant
Person who has been certified as a certified veterinary assistant by the Texas Veterinary Medical Association and is employed by a licensed veterinarian
Fee, monetary reward, discount, or emolument, whether received directly or indirectly
Direct supervision means
Vet on the premises
Equine Dentistry means
Any diagnosis, treatment, or surgical procedure performed on the head or oral cavity of an equine
LVT's now regulated by who?
Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners
TSBVME in charge of?
TSBVME in charge of licensing who?
- 1) Veterinarians
- 2) Equine dental examiners
- 3) Veterinarian technicians
Why being a LVT is better than and RVT
- 1) More responsible for ourselves
- 2) Now can lose license or be fined if involved in malpractice suit
- 3) Now listed in practice act
How often is practice act reviewed?
Practice act being reviewed known as
Committee with TVMA
Technician Oversite Committee
TARVT now known as?
Texas Veterinary Medical Team Association
How many members on state board appointed by the government?
- 9 members:
- 6 veterinarians
- 3 pubic members
What year did RVT's make it in the rules of conduct act?
How many times a year do board members meet?
Who to call if see horse/cow by side of road
Harris county livestock division
Equine dentistry procedures
- 1) Remove sharp enamel projections
- 2) Treat malocclusions
- 3) Reshape teeth
- 4) Extract teeth
- 5) Treatment of diseased teeth
- 6) Removal of calculus, soft deposits, plaque, stains above gum line
- 7) Smoothing, filing, and polishing
- 8) Dental radiography
General supervision means
Vet is in contact
Immediate supervision means
Vet is in the room, within visual and audible range
Licensed equine dental provider means
Person who holds a license to practice equine dentistry
Licensed veterinary technician means
Person who is licensed as a veterinary technician by the board
Person licensed by board to practice veterinary medicine
Veterinary assistant means
Person who is employed by licensed vet, performs tasks related to animal care, and is not a certified veterinary assistant or a licensed veterinary technician
Veterinary medicine includes
Surgery, reproduction and obstetrics, dentistry, ophthalmology, dermatology, cardiology, and any other specialty
When does the sunset act expire
September 1, 2017
Can a owner of an animal or an employ of the owner perform certain task on livestock?
Livestock management practices owner/employee can perform
- 1) Castrating male raised for human consumption
- 2) Docking/earmarking raised for human consumption
- 3) Dehorning cattle (Not cosmetic)
- 4) Aiding in nonsurgical birth
- 5) Using nonprescription meds to prevent disease
- 6) Branding
- 7) Artificial insemination
- 8) Shoeing a horse
- 9) Cosmetic/ production technique to reduce injury in poultry
Who else can perform acts on livestock besides owner/employee of owner
- 1) Vets employee
- 2) Full time student of an accredited veterinary college performed under vets supervision
- 3) Animal shelter employee who performs euthanasia
- 4) Person engaged in recognized state-federal cooperative disease control program
- 5) Person who provides emergency care without expectation of compensation
Person eligible for appointment as a veterinarian on the board if
- 1) Resided and practiced vet medicine in this state for 6 years
- 2) Good repute
- 3) Not a holder of a special license
Person not eligible for appointment as a public member on the board if
- 1) Licensed by occupational regulatory agency in health care field
- 2) Employed by any business that has to do with health care or receives funds by the board
- 3) Owns or controls more that 10% of a health care business
- 4) If persons spouse is employed in vet field and above reasons
Texas trade association means
Cooperative and voluntarily joined statewide association of business or professional competitors in this state designed to assist its members and its industry or profession in dealing with mutual business problems
How long is a board term
Staggered 6 years terms
Grounds for removal as a board member
- 1) Does not have at the time of taking office the qualifications required
- 2) Does not maintain during service
- 3) Ineligible for membership
- 4) Cannot due to illness or disability perform duties
- 5) Absent for more than half of the regularly scheduled board meetings
Board member must undergo training that provides them with information about..
- 1) Legislation that created the board, boards programs, functions, rules and budgets
- 2) Results of recent audit
- 3) Requirements of laws
- 4) Ethics policies
Executive director of the board responsible for..?
- 1) Safekeeping of money
- 2) Properly disbursing vet fund account
The board can adopt rules to..
- 1) Protect the public
- 2) Ensure alternate therapies performed by vet or under vet supervision
- 3) Ensure that equine dentistry is only performed by a vet or a licensed equine dental provider
- 4) Provide for the licensing and regulation of licensed vet techs
- 5) Implement jurisprudence exam for equine dental providers and vet techs
Board may not adopt rules that...
- 1) Restrict advertising or competitive bidding
- 2) Restrict persons use of any advertising medium
- 3) Restricts persons appearance/voice in advertisement
- 4) Restricts persons advertisement under a trade name
Veterinarian license renewal fee is..
Set by the board and additional fee of $200, $50 going in to the foundation school fund and $150 into general revenue fund
Board maintains a record of each license holders..
- 1) Name
- 2) Residence address
- 3) Business address
Board may request subpoena to
- 1) The attendance of witnesses for exam under oath
- 2) Production of inspection of books, accounts, records, papers, etc.
Board can appoint an advisory committee to perform advisory functions (True or False)
For complaint purposes the board must establish methods by which the consumer has access to the boards information including
- 1) Name
- 2) Mailing address
- 3) Telephone number
Board must keep records of complaints that maintain information about..
Parties to the complaint, subject matter, summary of the results of the review/investigation and its disposition
Complaints requiring medical expertise to review must be reviewed by..
2 or more veterinarian board members, and they shall determine whether to dismiss complaint or refer it to an informal proceeding
How many days does the board take to dispose each complaint
Board conducts a schedule for each phase of the complaint process that must be done within how many days after the board receives the complaint
Are the boards records considered public records?
Person is qualified to be licensed to practice veterinary medicine if...
- 1) Attained age of majority
- 2) Graduate of a board approved school
- 3) Successfully completes the licensing examination
- 4) Board doesn't refuse to issue license
Licensing examinations for veterinarians held how many times a year?
How long after taking the licensing exam will a examinee be notified of their results
If an exam is graded or reviewed by a national testing service the examinee will be notified of the results within how many days
Board can issue a special license to practice veterinarian medicine to an applicant who is a ...
- 1) Member of the faculty of a board approved vet program at an institution of higher education
- 2) Vet employee of the Texas Animal Health Commission
- 3) Vet employee of Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Lab
- 4) Has license in another jurisdiction
To be eligible for a special license to practice vet medicine must..
- 1) 21 yrs of age and a graduate of a board approved vet med program
- 2) Written affirmation by a person stating applicant meets critical need for staffing
- 3) Passes jurisprudence exam
Provisional license to practice veterinary medicine granted if..
- 1) Applicant is licensed in good standing as a vet in a different state
- 2) Has passed national or other exams recognized by the board
Board may issue a temporary license to practice vet medicine if the applicant is...
- 1) In good standing as a vet in another state/country
- 2) Meets eligibility requirements
- 3) Not the subject to denial or a license or disciplinary action
Person may not represent to the public that they are authorized to perform equine dentistry or use these following titles unless authorized
- 1) Dentist
- 2) Certified equine dental provider
- 3) Equine dental provider
- 4) CEDP
- 5) EDP
Person is qualified to be licensed as an equine dental provider is they meet the following..
- 1) Passes jurisprudence exam
- 2) Not disqualified by board rule
- 3) Certified by International Association of Equine Dentistry or another organization
Person is qualified to be licensed as a vet tech is the person..
- 1) Passes jurisprudence exam
- 2) At least 18 yrs old
- 3) Graduated from a program accredited by American Veterinary Medical Association
- 4) Passes Vet tech national exam
Applicant for a vet tech license must submit to the board..
- 1) Application on the form prescribed by the board
- 2) Information to enable board to conduct criminal background check
Does a licensed vet tech have to display their license in the clinic?
Person whose license has been expired for 90 days or less may renew license by..
Paying board the renewal fee that is equal to the sum of 1 1/2 times the fee
Person whose license has been expired for more than 90 days but less than 1 year may renew license by..
Paying board a renewal fee that is equal to the sum of 2 times the renewal fee
Person whose license has been expired for more than a year may obtain a new license by...
Complying with requirements and procedures including examinations for obtaining an original license
Fee exemption if..
- 1) Active duty with armed forces of the US
- 2) Permanently retired
Renewal of expired license by out of state practitioner
Person who is licensed to practice vet med in this state and moves to another state and in good standing and has been practicing in new state for 2 years may obtain a new license without reexamination
How many CE hours does a equine dental provider need?
How many CE hours for vet tech?
10, 6 hours being face to face
How many CE hours for a vet?
Can you be audited for CE hours?
Yes, must maintain records of every CE
Client can get how many day supply if meds if out of town?
5 day supply
Vet may dispose of an animal that is abandoned in the vets care if they
- 1) By certified mail give the client notice of intention to dispose animal
- 2) Gives clients 10 days after date of certified letter to pick up animal
In the event of the veterinarians death their practice and records go to..
The vets heirs to dispose of as necessary no later than 2nd anniversary of vets death
Licensed vet tech under direct or immediate supervision of vet can
- 1) Suture to close existing surgical skin incisions and skin lacerations
- 2) Induce anesthesia
- 3) Extract loose teeth or dental fragments
Licensed vet tech under direct, immediate or general supervision of a vet can
- 1) Draw blood
- 2) Take samples for purpose of testing and diagnosis
Vet assistant under immediate supervision of vet may
- 1) Suture skin lesions or lacerations
- 2) Induce anesthesia
Licensed vet tech and vet assistants may not
Perform surgery, perform invasive dental procedure, diagnose or determine prognosis, prescribe drug or appliance, or initiate treatment without instruction by vet
If an applicant or license holder is denied a license or under disciplinary action the board may...
- 1) Refuse to examine an applicant
- 2) Refuse renewal of license
- 3) Place person on probation
- 4) Reprimand license holder
- 5) Impose penalty
Board may require a license holder whose license is suspended to...
- 1) Report regularly to board on matters of probation
- 2) Limit practice to areas board approves
- 3) Continue/review CE until license holder meets satisfactory skill in areas related to probation
Person is subjected to denial of a license or to disciplinary action if...
- 1) Fraud/deception of qualifications and exam
- 2) Addicted to drugs
- 3) Illegal/dishonest within the practice
- 4) Convicted of felony
- 5) Receives kickback,bonus, or rebates
- 6) Under investigation, suspension, or probation of license in other jurisdiction
- 7) Practice vet medicine without license
Vet must report disease to which agency?
Texas Animal Health Commission
Can the board revoke, suspend, or place on probation a vets license if they fail to report a disease?
Can the board revoke or place license on probation if vet fails to maintain records?
Can the board suspend or revoke a vets license is court finds them mentally incompetent?
Yes, if later found competent may reinstate license
A person is entitled to a hearing before __ if the board refuses to issue license, examine person, revokes/suspends license, places person on probation, issue penalty
State Office of Administrative Hearings
An appeal of an action of the board must be filed in which district?
Board may impose an administrative penalty on...
- 1) A person
- 2) Corporation
- 3) Organization
- 4) Business trust
- 5) Estate/trust
- 6) Partnership
- 7) Association
Amount of an administrative penalty may not exceed what?
$5,000 for each violation per day
A committee's recommendation on an administrative penalty is given no later than the __ day after the date the report was issued
No later than the 20th day after the date a person receives the committees recommendation they must chose to either..
- 1) Accept recommendation
- 2) Request hearing on the violation, amount of the penalty or both
No later than the ___ day period after the date of the boards order becomes final the person shall...
- 1) Pay administrative penalty
- 2) File petition for judicial review w/wo paying
Board member or employee will pay a fine if that person..
- 1) Issues a license to someone not meeting qualifications
- 2) Gives person exam questions
Board member or employee can be fined between which amounts?
Can the board issue cease and desist order to a person violating this chapter?
Equine dental provider advisory committee is made up of...
- 1) 2 licensed equine dental providers
- 2) 1 veterinarian who supervises a LEDP
EDP advisory committee members are appointed terms lasting how long?
Staggered 6 years, terms expire February 1st of each odd year and cannot serve more than 2 consecutive terms
Who becomes responsible for bringing a animal in during an emergency
Person who brings the animal in, not the owner
Can an LVT work on someones livestock?
Not unless under general supervision
Can and DVM not licensed yet practice under a licensed vet?
Yes must be licensed with state board
Banfield is owned by a business man, can business man tell vet what to do medically?
No, but if it was vet owned then vet could tell them what to do
When can patient info be released?
- If persons name is on patient records
- Written authorization by owner
Standard operating procedure
Board advisor for TARVT
President of TARVT
Presenters at symposium
- Valerie Fadok
- Elizabeth Martinez
Equine dental practioner must be...
- Complete 10 hrs of CE
- Work under vets general supervision
Catalyst for vet techs to become licensed
EDP now having to licensed
Can a non-vet use the vets stamp or electronic signature pad for official health document?
Yes under direct supervision
Vet tech license application fee
How much must vet pay yearly for license?
$170 plus $200 professional fees
What is the grandfather clause?
If practice was built before December 31, 2009 and is in a merchant establishment, doesnt have a proper patients entrance, or is controlled by someone other than a vet its allowed
Vet may dispose of animal remains or animal wastes by..
Burial or burning if not within corporate boundaries, must have either a V-C-P-R, treated/diagnosed patient, or performed euthanasia/autopsy on animal